Design & Technology
The Design and Technology department offers pupils the opportunity to develop real and transferable skills in a variety of different subject areas. The aim of the department is to encourage creative and analytical thought through design, as well as develop practical hand skills and organisation through workshop based projects. Pupils are also given the opportunity to learn 3D CAD modelling skills, using industry standard software.
In the Design and Technology department pupils get the chance to experience opportunities which allow them to explore their own imaginations and limitations, and to draw from the wealth of knowledge of the experienced teachers within the department.
Following S1 and S2, in which pupils experience a variety of ‘taster’ subjects, pupils have a variety of courses to choose from, including:
- S1/2 Common Course CfE Technolgy
- S3 National 4/5 in Practical Woodwork Skills, Graphic Communication and Design/Manufacture
- S4 Standard Grade in Craft & Design and Graphic Communication
- S4 Int 1 Skills for Work in Engineering Craft Skills
- S5/6 Int 1/2 in Practical Woodwork, H/Int 2 in Product Design and Graphic Communication
The Standard Grade and Higher subjects offered to pupils allow for progression into a number of industries, including Architecture and the Construction industry, Engineering, Interior Design, Product Design, Graphic Design and many more.
Current staff teaching in the department include:
- Mr David Hay- FacultyPrincipal Teacher (Acting)
- Mr Stewart Baird – DHT (Acting)
- Mrs Sharon Sharkey
- Mr John McRae
- Mr Steve Cullen
- Mr Ian Marshall (3 periods p/wk)
- Mr Derek Leith – Technician